Well anyway, by mid-morning we were driving with Jeffrey to the University of Chicago where he will be living for the rest of July and participating in a summer program called "The Science of Sustainability". We dutifully arrived in time for registration and then spent a few free hours on campus.
First, Jeffrey received his U of C ID card.
First, Jeffrey received his U of C ID card.
After lunch at a local restaurant where the servers wear TShirts that say "Obama ate here", we stopped for a quick visit to Court Theater.
Emily and I appeared in the play: No More Poo.
Then we stopped back at the dorm to find Jeffrey's room and meet his roommate (who is in the creative writing program).
Lastly, the four of us headed to orientation. Were were the only parents with a baby and I look darn good for sending a kid off to college.
The students went off to tour the campus and Marc and I continued in our new roles by attending the parent Q & A. I was most interested in hearing the other parents' questions. We are so fully in the infant world that I can't imagine this perspective. As it turns out, the parents were not at all creative in their questions, which mostly centered around how much supervision their kid would or would not have. (Answer: they have a strict curfew at night and organized activities almost every evening/weekend, but are relatively free throughout the day to attend their classes and related programming.) Emily was a model 3-month old throughout the entire day.
We cried our goodbyes to our kid just after 3pm and drove off feeling VERY good about ourselves as parents. It's not easy to raise such a great teenager.
Why, welcome, Shannon, to the blogging world, and please, please stay because you are hilarious!!
ReplyDelete