Friday, August 13, 2010

Roll Over in Crib


Emily has been consistently rolling over from back to tummy...and back and forth...for almost two weeks, mostly while in her crib. This is exciting for Marc and me! For Emily, it exciting when it happens during play time. It causes some distress when it happens while she is in some state of sleep. It wakes her up or appears to wake her up - and she cries or sometimes screams. She doesn't put herself back to sleep after it happens at nap time or early morning. If this is happening in the middle of the night, she seems to be coping because we don't know about it.

This is all combined with a move towards unswaddled sleep. At this point, unswaddled sleep makes me NOT LIKE the pediatrician who told us Emily should be sleeping without a swaddle. When she wakes up in the swaddle, she is more apt to go back to sleep than when unswaddled. In fact, one of the only reasons I'm being persistent in trying even a half-swaddled nap is because Emily starts day care in less than one week - will be in all day Thursdays and Fridays - and I'm worried that they won't swaddle her and she'll get upset. Marc pointed out that we are paying them to take care of her and they can teach her things about sleeping. Hopefully true. I just can't stand the thought of her crying because she isn't swaddled and feels scared. So I am trying. But I have to go now, because she is awake again after only a 30 minute nap. Knowing the answer is in the middle, do I keep trying or give up and swaddle?

2 comments:

  1. Miranda was past the swaddle stage so I can't give advice there, but I can warn you about day care. If the place she is going has mostly older women/granny types, she should be ok. They aren't too keen on letting the little ones cry. If the employees are younger to mid-twenty types, don't assume they will know anything to teach her. The younger ones are great during play time, but usually don't have good instincts on fussiness vs distress.

    ReplyDelete